|Photo credit: Leigh Goessl|
This time of year is often associated with a higher number of crime incidents, primarily associated with theft, whether retail or burglary. However, carjacking is one crime that also tends to increase.
These tips are important year-round, but being theft-related crime tends to increase over the holidays, during the months of November and December it is a good idea to be more vigilant.
- Pay close attention to your surroundings.
- Always be on alert to any activity near your car.
- Check the inside of your car before entering it.
- Have keys in your hand as you approach your car.
- If any suspicious persons are hanging around your car, keep walking.
- Pay careful attention to people asking questions or handing out flyers, this could be a ruse.
- Once in your car, lock it immediately.
- If suspicious strangers are walking on your street, keep driving until they've gone.
Carjacking is a very serious crime and, while it is impossible to avoid in some cases, being prepared with information and strategies can help keep you safer. Avoid being a carjack victim.